Quarry Bay School’s latest newsletter is available to read now. Find out the latest news around the school and upcoming events.
Key dates for the week of 28th August:
- Year 6 InCAS
- Year 2 PIPS
- Wednesday the 30th of August at 6.30 pm – Chinese Information Evening
- Thursday the 31st of August at 6 pm – Year 6 Parents Camp Evening
- Friday the 1st of September at 8.30 am – Parent Volunteer meeting
The children have continued to be very settled last week even with the disruption caused by Typhoon Hato on Wednesday. There was limited damage at school which was a relief for all of us coming back into school on Thursday morning. Thank you to our hard working amah team for doing such an amazing clean up. We are very lucky to have such a dedicated group of site staff.
It was good to see so many parents in school on Thursday for the ‘Welcome Back to QBS’ evening. It is hoped the evening gave you some insight into your child’s teacher, what learning may look like across the year, how you might support learning at home and a general overview of pastoral care at QBS. Staff look forward to a positive year ahead with your child. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you ever need any assistance with your child’s life at QBS. The slides from the Welcome Back evening will be shared with parents via email this week.
Please be reminded to keep an eye on the key dates coming up for parents via this summary and the school calendar. There are important events coming up such as the Chinese Information Evening, Parent Teacher Meetings and Year 4/5/6 Camp Sessions. All of these involve parents and will take place before half term.
Class timetables will be shared with parents this week. An email will be sent to parents which explains where your child’s weekly timetable can be found in Gateway.
There is a regular QBS Sharing Our Learning blog for interested parents. It can be found on the home page of the school’s website. Please click here to view the school blog and enjoy a peek at learning around QBS.
Traffic conditions – Hau Yuen Path
QBS representatives recently met with Hong Kong Police Officers about traffic in Hau Yuen Path during peak drop off and pick up times. In the interests of student safety, the school will work in cooperation with the police about this issue.
Please note the following:
- QBS car labels (green) will no longer be distributed by the school office.
- Drivers &/or parents are asked not to park on the footpath in Hau Yuen Path.
- Drivers &/or parents are asked not to park in Hau Yuen Path and wait for after school clubs to finish.
- Consider making use of public transport when attending school events.
ESF Year 1 Central Applications (entry August 2018)
Any QBS parents wanting to make applications for their child for Year 1 entry (August 2018), please see the information below:
- Central Applications for Year 1 (born in 2013) open on the 1st of September 2017 – please click here.
- Central Applications for Year 1 (born in 2013) close on the 30th of September 2017
Please do not miss making an application for Year 1 during September 2017.
ESF Year 7 Secondary Transfer Applications
The ESF Year 7 transfer application period for current Year 6 students is open between Monday the 4th of September to Friday the 15th of September 2017. If you want your Year 6 child to transfer to an ESF secondary school please complete the transfer via Gateway. More information on how to do this process in Gateway will follow in an email to Year 6 parents.
Allocation for secondary school will be determined by a student’s residential zone at the start of Year 6. For further details, parents should refer to the information available on the ESF website for key dates from here and for school zones from here. All Year 6 students who are new enrolments at QBS for the 2017/2018 academic year are guaranteed a Year 7 place but not necessarily in their secondary school of zone.
Please do not miss making an application for Year 7 during the 4th to the 15th of September 2017.
The deposit payment deadline to secure their Year 7 place is the 15th of December 2017.
Any further questions about Year 1 or Year 7 application process please contact our Admissions Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you to all the parents that put their names down to become parent volunteers at QBS. We will be holding a follow up meeting to discuss the role and to sign the confidentiality form on Friday 1st September at 8.30 in the hall.
Please attend if you would like to volunteer in school. Thank you
Mid Autumn Lantern making competition 2017
Expressive Arts News
There has been a fantastic response to the singing show ‘QBS THE VOICE’. Entries are now closed and the auditions will begin.
THE VOICE SOLO AUDITIONS, 28th Aug – 1st Sept
Please click here to find the audition timetable for the SOLO auditions. (Please note the group auditions will begin week beginning 4th Sept and that that audition timetable will be published later.)
South Island School Open Day
South Island School Open Day on Tuesday 12th September (10:35 am – 2:45 pm) – Please click here for more details.
Student Health Centre/ Dental Centre Forms
All the Year 2-6 children have been given the forms for the 2017-2018 Student Health centre and Dental Centre Government Forms.
If you would like to register your child to this service please complete the form and return it to Nurse Delia. Please remember if you enrol in the dental scheme there is a $20 charge and it needs to be submitted with the form (cash only)
The deadline will be Monday 4th September. No late forms will be accepted.
Another busy year for our after school clubs. Please click here for the procedure on how to register for QBS clubs.
ESF Educational Services and Private clubs please contact the club leader.
These are the dates for Term 1 clubs:
QBS Academic Clubs Sept 18 – Nov 17
QBS Sports Clubs Sept 18 – Nov 24
ESF/ Private Clubs Sept 11 – Dec 8
ESF Sports Clubs
A reminder that ESF Services clubs begin on the week of September 11th . If you have not signed up and wish to do so please click the links below.
ESF Services provide a sports program which offer sports classes for children all year round. It is also an excellent opportunity for younger students to begin learning fundamental movement skills from an early age.
Lance King Parent Seminar
Please click here for more details
ESF 50th Anniversary Marathon
The PTA offers a standard bus service with nominated stops. With nearly 83% of our students travelling on the school bus daily, it is difficult for us to offer a door to door service. We therefore request parents and families to select a nominated stop closest to your residence to avoid later changes in bus routes and or stops, especially since most of our bus routes are completely full. If you would like assistance to decide your bus routes, please contact the PTA Office on email@example.com.
- Bus Mother – List: Please find the Bus Mother List with their pictures for your reference.
- Bus Whatsapp Groups: Each Bus Mother has set up a whatsapp group of parents. Please note that as per the privacy ordinance, this whatsapp group is only to be used to notify parents of bus delays or any urgent bus related matters only. This platform is strictly NOT to be used for social purposes.
(If you would like to remove your contact from this platform please inform the group admin and you will be removed.)
- Shop Hours: The PTA Shop will not be operating normal shop hours due to staffing issues.
Parents and Students are requested to drop off your orders in the drop box with the payment. You will be contacted to collect your orders as soon as they are ready.
PTA JOB VACANCY : SHOP SUPERVISOR
We are urgently looking for a Shop Supervisor to manage our PTA Shop with immediate effect.
- A dynamic self-starter, who can work independently.
- The shop supervisor will be required to work 5 days a week, 4 hours per day (as per the shop schedule), in which you will be required to carry out daily shop operational duties, as well as assist the PTA.
- You should have basic accounting knowledge, as well as be service orientated.
- The applicant must be physically fit and active in order to replenish stocks in the shop.
- Salary Scale : depending on experience.
- Please send in your application to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
PTA JOB VACANCY : BUS ESCORT / BUS MOTHER
We are urgently looking for Bus Escorts / Bus Mothers to take care of the students, and ensure safe and disciplined travel, to and from school daily.
- Salary Scale : depending on route confirmed.
- [The job entails approx. 1 hr in the mornings and 1 hr in the afternoons)
- Please send in all your application to: email@example.com.
Feedback or Suggestions
If you have any feedback or suggestions you would like to make for our events or services provided, please email them directly to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Your email will be received directly by our Chairman, who will reply to you at the earliest available moment.
HELP US – IN OUR DRIVE FOR A GREENER ENVIRONMENT
We request all parents to support a greener environment by BYOB “bring your own bag” when you come to purchase items from the shop.
[With immediate effect the PTA Shop will no longer provide any shopping bags].
Please contact us on 2566 4242 (ask to transfer to PTA), or 2887 1004 for further queries, or by email to email@example.com, during operation hours.
“Click here for PTA Office and Shop Operation”