Quarry Bay School’s latest newsletter is available to read now. Find out the latest news around the school and upcoming events.
Key dates for Term 3
Please click here
Key dates for next week
- Tuesday the 30th of May – Public holiday
- Thursday the 1st of June – Year 4 Victoria Park visit
- Friday the 2nd of June – New Year 1 Induction Day
- Friday the 2nd of June – Year 6 Visit to South Island School
Everyone enjoyed the Year 4 ‘Rumble in the Jungle’ performance on Thursday and Friday. The students showed tremendous energy, enthusiasm and a sense of fun during their creative interpretation of a very well-known story. Thank you to all parents for their attendance and positive support. I felt really proud to be part of QBS as I watched our students act, dance and sing so well for their peers and parents. Special thanks to all of the staff involved in supporting the students and developing their talents and confidence. Performance is a powerful way of building self-confidence in our students. This week’s show certainly affirmed this fact.
The week finished with the Year 6 Athletics Day which was enjoyed by the students. The parental involvement was appreciated and certainly something which the students always find motivating.
I urge any families driving to school daily to be considerate when parking in Hau Yuen Path at pick up time in the afternoons. Unfortunately complaints have been received about cars (displaying the QBS logo) parking on footpaths between trees and across driveways at the end of the school day. In recent weeks Chinese International School has established some new traffic management strategies to improve things on the hill and this is supported by QBS. It is timely that QBS families also reflect on how our community can support the traffic problems on Hau Yuen Path.
I am delighted to inform everyone that Annika (4W) and Manisha (1H) will have their designs published on the covers of the 2017 QBS Yearbook. Thank you to all of the students for their wonderful cover designs. The judges had a very difficult decision to make this year.
Have a restful weekend everyone.
Talent Show Audition Timetable
- Monday 29th May – Year 5 & 6
- Wednesday 31st May – Year 3 & 4
- Thursday 1st June – Year 2
- Friday 2nd June – Year 1
Time: Lunch times
Where: Go to the multi-purpose room. Bring your lunch – you can eat whilst you wait for your turn. You will then be called into one of the Expressive Arts rooms for your audition.
Costume/Props/Music: You need to bring everything with you on the day of your audition. It is up to you if you want to wear a costume. If you do, you must not wear this to school but get changed at lunchtime. You need to have your music ready or know where to locate your music online.
GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR AUDITIONS
Click here to access the spreadsheet with the names of the children auditioning. (You need to login to your child’s Qoodle account)
Stay Vigilant Against the Spread of Influenza and Other Respiratory Infections
According to the Centre for Health Protection (CHP), there has been a recent increase in the number of influenza cases in Hong Kong. To prevent outbreaks of influenza and other respiratory infections in school, the CHP has advised additional precautionary measures for schools.
- Please could parents/guardians monitor your child’s body temperature before school.
- If your child has a fever (oral temperature is higher than 37.5C, ear temperature 38C), regardless of the presence of respiratory symptoms, they should not attend school and should seek medical advice. They should not return to school until 48 hours after the fever has subsided.
In addition, if your child is unwell with other flu-like symptoms such as runny nose, sore throat, cough, vomiting or diarrhoea, please seek medical advice and allow adequate rest at home until your child is better, before returning to school.
Please could you also talk to your child about maintaining strict hand and personal hygiene, as below:
- Keep hands clean and wash hands properly with liquid soap for up to 20 seconds. Avoid touching your mouth, nose or eyes with unclean hands.
- Cover nose and mouth while sneezing and coughing, wash hands properly afterwards, and dispose of dirty tissues in a covered bin.
- Maintain a balanced diet, have adequate rest and exercise.
- Avoid visiting crowded places with poor ventilation.
- Wear a surgical mask and seek medical advice promptly if fever or respiratory symptoms develop.
- See your doctor to obtain the Influenza vaccination.
For the latest information on influenza activity, please visit the website of the Centre for Health protection. (www.chp.gov.hk)
Australian Rules Football for Girls
Please see the opportunity for girls at QBS to join the AuskickHK girls training that has commenced and to formally invite your daughters to join the Scorpions. The sessions will be at 8am on Sunday mornings at HKU Stanley Ho Sandy Bay, combining largely 8-12 year old girls.
Please contact email@example.com for further details.
Hong Kong Soccer Sevens
A reminder that this weekend is the Hong Kong Soccer Sevens at Hong Kong Football Club.
There is a fan zone with plenty of games for children of all ages.
Please click the link here for further information.
Upcoming PTA Events
- New Year 1 Student: Induction Day: 2nd June, 2017
- Movie “Screenagers”: 6th June 2017
- Pizza Lunch – Upper School: 7th June 2017
- Pizza Lunch – Lower School: 9th June 2017
“New Year 1 Student” Induction Day!
(Coming up on 2nd June 2017)
Parent Volunteers: We would like to request for parent volunteers to assist with the Induction Day of the new Year 1 students and parents, to welcome them to Quarry Bay School, and to assist and guide them with uniform ordering/collection and booking school bus service. Your assistance, guidance and support will “Make a Positive Difference”.
If you are interested and available from 8:00am to 10:30am, please do join and assist us for this important morning for the new Year 1 students and parents. Please confirm by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 25th May 2017.
[All communication should include: Your Child’s Name, Class No, Your Mobile No, and Email address.]
“Screenagers” – Movie screening!
Tickets are selling out fast!
Don’t miss this opportunity to keep yourself informed of drawbacks related to the digital world which our children are exposed to on a daily basis!
Invite with the link to the application form has been emailed by school to you with details about the movie on Wednesday, 17th May 2017.
We suggest that all parents, of students in all year groups, watch the film at least once.
The Award-winning “Screenagers” probes into the vulnerable corners of family life, including the director’s own, and depicts messy struggles over social media, video games, academics and internet addiction. Through surprising insights from authors and brain scientists, solutions emerge on how we can empower kids to best navigate the digital world.
You will also be given the opportunity to take part in a discussion period with other parents and staff after the screening with any concerns or feedback you may have. Please do not miss this opportunity and order your tickets now with the PTA!
Ticket price is $50 per adult ticket, and you can bring your child (over 10 years) and your domestic helper/carer both free of charge.
Deadline for ordering tickets is : Thursday, 1st June 2017.
- Upper School: on Wednesday, 7th June 2017
- Lower School: on Friday, 9th June 2017
Order forms have been sent home with students today. Please place your orders early.
Parent Volunteers: If you would like to help, please complete the slip at the end of the order form and send it to the PTA Office.
The PTA Shop will change operation hours for the rest of this term till further notice:
- Tuesdays & Wednesdays: 8:00am – 11:00am
- Thursdays: 1:00pm – 4:00pm
- 25th May – Drop off order only
[The office will assist to collect any pre-orders and payments for uniforms. You will be contacted by the Shop Supervisor once your order is ready for collection.]
School Bus Applications – Next Academic Year 2017/2018
- The deadline date for submission of School Bus Applications is closed.
- All incomplete applications will be returned this week to parents for completion.
- All re-submissions of completed applications and payment will be processed from date of second receipt, and will be processed on a first-come, first serve basis, provided seats are available.
- All submissions of application forms will be treated on first-come, first-serve basis.
- All late applications – after 5th May 2017 will be subject to a $100 administration charge.
- All cheques of current date will be banked in commencing 9th May 2017 till end May 2017. Please ensure that you have sufficient funds to cover the payment.
(All returned/bounced cheques are subject to $100 administration charge.)
Confirmation of bus status and receipts will be sent to all bus riders before the end of this academic year.
Term 3 After School Activities & Change of Bus Travel Arrangement
Unfortunately we still have many parents who do not inform the PTA if their child/ren have after school activities or a change in afternoon travel arrangements on the buses. The above results in a delay in departure of the buses from school, while the PTA staff, principals, teachers and staff of the school are looking for the missing students.
We therefore request your cooperation to notify us before 12:30pm on a normal school day, and 10:00am on an early school closure day, for any change in the travel arrangement of your child. This procedure is imperative and in the best interest and safety of your child.
(Parents are requested to inform PTA via email at email@example.com as well as copying the message to the class teacher/school before 12:30pm.)
Feedback or Suggestions
If you have any feedback or suggestions you would like to make for our events or services provided, please email them directly to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Your email will be received directly by our Chairman, who will reply to you at the earliest available moment.
HELP US – IN OUR DRIVE FOR A GREENER ENVIRONMENT
We request all parents to support a greener environment by BYOB “bring your own bag” when you come to purchase items from the shop.
[With immediate effect the PTA Shop will no longer provide any shopping bags].
Please contact us on 2566 4242 (ask to transfer to PTA), or 2887 1004 for further queries, or by email to email@example.com, during operation hours.
“Click here for PTA Office and Shop Operation”