Quarry Bay School’s latest newsletter is available to read now. Find out the latest news around the school and upcoming events.
QBS Calendar 2017/2018
Please click here for the QBS Calendar for 2017/2018.
Key dates for Term 3
Please click here
Key dates for next week
- Tuesday the 6th of June – Screenagers Film Screening for Parents (Two sessions at 1:15pm and 6:30pm)
- Wednesday the 7th of June – Pizza Lunch (Upper School)
- Friday the 9th of June – Pizza Lunch (Lower School)
Teaching Staff Changes 2017/2018
Mrs Mohua Jacob and Mrs Emma Guest will return from leave to teach at QBS in the coming academic year.
We will say farewell to Mrs Stephanie Gilchrist, Ms Janice Williams, Mr James Whyman and Mr Matt Glencross at the end of this academic year. These colleagues will be missed and their contributions to our school have been deeply appreciated by all.
- Mrs Gilchrist has been a dedicated colleague, teacher and leader who has made a difference to the students she has taught across the years at QBS. Mrs Gilchrist has been a creative and inspirational teacher for students. She has given 9 years of outstanding service to the students and families of QBS. She has been a long-serving and valued QBS School Council member. Mrs Gilchrist will pursue some personal interests beyond teaching when she steps away from QBS.
- Ms Williams has taught and cared for the Year 2 students over the last two years and supported their successes at school. Ms Williams has nurtured a keen attitude and positive approach to learning in her students. We wish her success in her next steps in her teaching career in Hong Kong.
- Mr James Whyman has been with QBS for just over one year and has involved himself fully in the community. He has been a diligent teacher in Year 4 and has provided strong support for the students in his care. Mr Whyman will continue teaching in Hong Kong and we wish him all the best in his endeavours.
- Mr Matt Glencross has been a hardworking member of the Year 1 team and we have enjoyed his continued involvement in the learning lives of students. His expertise in nature has been a significant interest for the students. Mr Glencross will continue teaching in Hong Kong and we wish him all the best.
Ms Jos Webb will take maternity leave during Term 1 to care for her new baby. Her baby is due very early in Term 1. Mrs Bridget Grant will teach in Year 2 during Ms Webb’s leave (Term 1). Ms Webb will return to teach in Year 2 in Term 2. Mrs Grant will leave QBS at the end of Term 1 as she is relocating back to Australia with her family. Looking ahead, we will say farewell to Mrs Grant nearer to the time of her departure from QBS and Hong Kong.
Ms Ling Luong will also be taking maternity leave and some extended time with her new baby next academic year. Ms Luong will be in a non-class based teaching role from August to October prior to the birth of her baby. Ms Luong will return to teach at QBS in August 2018. Mrs Alfreda Tolliday-Wright will continue to teach at QBS for another academic year during Ms Luong’s leave and we are pleased to have her with us again.
QBS will welcome new teaching staff in August. Ms Jennifer Barbour, Ms Rachel McCorkell, Ms Helen Mutter and Mr Daniel Thomas will join the community. Please click here to read the introductions from these teachers.
Teacher Placements 2017/2018
Please click here to view the year level placements of the QBS teachers for the next academic year. Students will meet their new teacher during the school day on the 14th of June. Parents will be informed of their child’s teacher for the next school year on the afternoon of the 14th of June via email.
Current Year 2 and Year 4 classes will be mixed and new classes formed, in accordance with school policy. All other students will promote to their next year level with their current class members. This class mixing process has been completed by teachers. Please understand that specific requests for a teacher will not be possible.
Specialist teachers will remain unchanged. Please click here to view the specialist teacher placements for the next academic year.
Stay Vigilant Against the Spread of Influenza and Other Respiratory Infections
According to the Centre for Health Protection (CHP), there has been a recent increase in the number of influenza cases in Hong Kong. To prevent outbreaks of influenza and other respiratory infections in school, the CHP has advised additional precautionary measures for schools.
- Please could parents/guardians monitor your child’s body temperature before school.
- If your child has a fever (oral temperature is higher than 37.5C, ear temperature 38C), regardless of the presence of respiratory symptoms, they should not attend school and should seek medical advice. They should not return to school until 48 hours after the fever has subsided.
In addition, if your child is unwell with other flu-like symptoms such as runny nose, sore throat, cough, vomiting or diarrhoea, please seek medical advice and allow adequate rest at home until your child is better, before returning to school.
Please could you also talk to your child about maintaining strict hand and personal hygiene, as below:
- Keep hands clean and wash hands properly with liquid soap for up to 20 seconds. Avoid touching your mouth, nose or eyes with unclean hands.
- Cover nose and mouth while sneezing and coughing, wash hands properly afterwards, and dispose of dirty tissues in a covered bin.
- Maintain a balanced diet, have adequate rest and exercise.
- Avoid visiting crowded places with poor ventilation.
- Wear a surgical mask and seek medical advice promptly if fever or respiratory symptoms develop.
- See your doctor to obtain the Influenza vaccination.
For the latest information on influenza activity, please visit the website of the Centre for Health protection. (www.chp.gov.hk)
Upcoming PTA Events
- Movie “Screenagers”: 6th June 2017
- Pizza Lunch – Upper School: 7th June 2017
- Pizza Lunch – Lower School: 9th June 2017
“New Year 1 Student” Induction Day!
Thank you to all the parent volunteers who have helped with Induction Day this morning. Your support is very valuable for making the morning successful.
“Screenagers” – Movie screening!
Tickets are selling out fast!
DEADLINE EXTENDED TO: MONDAY, 5TH JUNE 2017 – 11:00AM
Don’t miss this opportunity to keep yourself informed of drawbacks related to the digital world which our children are exposed to on a daily basis!
Invite with the link to the application form has been emailed by school to you with details about the movie on Wednesday, 17th May 2017.
We suggest that all parents, of students in all year groups, watch the film at least once.
The Award-winning “Screenagers” probes into the vulnerable corners of family life, including the director’s own, and depicts messy struggles over social media, video games, academics and internet addiction. Through surprising insights from authors and brain scientists, solutions emerge on how we can empower kids to best navigate the digital world.
You will also be given the opportunity to take part in a discussion period with other parents and staff after the screening with any concerns or feedback you may have. Please do not miss this opportunity and order your tickets now with the PTA!
Ticket price is $50 per adult ticket, and you can bring your child (over 10 years) and your domestic helper/carer both free of charge.
- Upper School: on Wednesday, 7th June 2017
- Lower School: on Friday, 9th June 2017
Order forms have been sent home. Please place your orders early. Deadline: Monday, 5th June 2017.
Parent Volunteers: If you would like to help, please complete the slip at the end of the order form and send it to the PTA Office.
Shop Hours and Closure:
The PTA Shop will change operation hours for the rest of this term till further notice:
- Tuesdays & Wednesdays: 8:00am – 11:00am
- Thursdays: 1:00pm – 4:00pm
[The office will assist to collect any pre-orders and payments for uniforms. You will be contacted by the Shop Supervisor once your order is ready for collection.]
- The PTA Shop will be closed in the last week of school for our year-end audit from 26th to 30th June 2017.
School Bus Applications – Next Academic Year 2017/2018
- The deadline date for submission of School Bus Applications is closed.
- All incomplete applications will be returned this week to parents for completion.
- All re-submissions of completed applications and payment will be processed from date of second receipt, and will be processed on a first-come, first serve basis, provided seats are available.
- All submissions of application forms will be treated on first-come, first-serve basis.
- All late applications – after 5th May 2017 will be subject to a $100 administration charge.
- All cheques of current date will be banked in commencing 9th May 2017 till end May 2017. Please ensure that you have sufficient funds to cover the payment.
(All returned/bounced cheques are subject to $100 administration charge.)
Confirmation of bus status and receipts will be sent to all bus riders before the end of this academic year.
Term 3 After School Activities & Change of Bus Travel Arrangement
Unfortunately we still have many parents who do not inform the PTA if their child/ren have after school activities or a change in afternoon travel arrangements on the buses. The above results in a delay in departure of the buses from school, while the PTA staff, principals, teachers and staff of the school are looking for the missing students.
We therefore request your cooperation to notify us before 12:30pm on a normal school day, and 10:00am on an early school closure day, for any change in the travel arrangement of your child. This procedure is imperative and in the best interest and safety of your child.
(Parents are requested to inform PTA via email at firstname.lastname@example.org as well as copying the message to the class teacher/school before 12:30pm.)
Feedback or Suggestions
If you have any feedback or suggestions you would like to make for our events or services provided, please email them directly to: email@example.com. Your email will be received directly by our Chairman, who will reply to you at the earliest available moment.
HELP US – IN OUR DRIVE FOR A GREENER ENVIRONMENT
We request all parents to support a greener environment by BYOB “bring your own bag” when you come to purchase items from the shop.
[With immediate effect the PTA Shop will no longer provide any shopping bags].
Please contact us on 2566 4242 (ask to transfer to PTA), or 2887 1004 for further queries, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, during operation hours.
“Click here for PTA Office and Shop Operation”