Quarry Bay School’s latest newsletter is available to read now. Find out the latest news around the school and upcoming events.
Key dates for Term 1
Please click here
Key dates for next week:
- Wednesday the 13th of December – Portfolios returned to school
- Wednesday the 13th of December at 9am / 6pm – QBS Christmas Panto
- Friday the 15th of December – School to close at 12 noon
Start of School Day – attendance register and late arrival
In Term 2 the school’s front gate will be closed at 8.15am daily when the bell rings. Any students arriving after the school gate has been closed at 8.15am will be required to register their attendance at Reception on the ground floor. These students will be marked in the Gateway attendance register as late. All teachers take the attendance register at 8.15am daily and students are required to be in the classroom for this so arrival before the school bell is expected.
Cooperation is sought by all parents to have their child at school before the 8.15am bell rings to ensure a smooth start to their learning each day.
Thank you to everyone in the community for supporting the Christmas Fayre last Friday evening. It was another successful event hosted by the hard working members of the PTA. The students seemed to enjoy the evening and the class hampers and student games were extremely popular again this year. I was proud of all students involved in the Christmas Concert. I am sure QBS will set a trend in school performances – ‘ Braemar Hill’s okarina Christmas tunes’.
Football and Netball Tournaments
Last Saturday many QBS staff were up bright and early after the fayre and at the KGV pitches for football and netball tournaments. Well done to our A Team for their Plate Final win. All teams played well, tried their best and gave some very ‘nail biting’ performances throughout the tournament. The netball team proved very competitive on the day and played exceptionally well in their games. Thank you to all the parents for supporting the team and special thanks to Mr Schroder for coordinating the football tournament in such a professional way.
On Friday your child will bring home their portfolio to share with you. This portfolio contains samples of learning from across Term 1. We encourage families to take the time to sit down and talk about the contents of the portfolios. Please be reminded portfolios are due back into school next Wednesday.
Farewell Mr Andrew Kade
This week we said goodbye to a wonderful colleague. Mr Kade has been working at QBS as an Education Assistant for the last 18 months and everyone is sorry to see him leave our community. He has been very hard working and given so much to our students through the extra curricular rugby and writing clubs. Thank you Mr Kade and best wishes for the future.
Deadline for donating gifts: Tuesday 12th December
We are very lucky here at Quarry Bay School because we can do lots of different things. West Morninghope School is located in Chai Wan. It is a school for disabled children. The school helps the students develop self respect, self discipline, self confidence and independence. They also teach the children life skills such as personal hygiene, how to cook, how to dress, safety and how to communicate in English.
At QBS we all like to help. The student voice would like to take action and ask all the students to donate a small Christmas gift. We will deliver these gifts on Wednesday 13th December to help the children to have a very Merry Christmas.
The types of gifts that would be great to give are: stuffed toys, simple puzzles, easy children’s books or easy duplo/lego packs.
Once you have bought the gift, please wrap it, attach a note to say whether it is suitable for a boy or girl (or both) and what age it would be good for. Then bring the gift to school, place it under the Christmas tree in the school hall and Santa’s big helpers from Year 5 and 6 will deliver the gifts on everyone’s behalf.
Expressive Art News
QBS Christmas Panto
The Christmas Panto is coming very soon! Year 5/6 Drama club, Y3/4 Dance club and Orchestra have all been rehearsing for their parts in the Panto. The children will be performing the Panto three times. Parents are invited to either the 9am or 6pm performance on Wednesday 13th December. There is a small ticket charge this year for the Pantomime. $50 for adults and $20 for children. The performance will last approximately an hour and a half and will take place in the school hall. The third performance is for students only and is in the school day on Thursday 14th December.
If you need any information regarding either of these expressive arts events please do not hesitate to contact me. email@example.com
Ms Ceri HILL
Lead Teacher of the Expressive Arts
(Music, Dance and Drama)
The 4th International Zhou Youguang Cup Chinese Talent Show ( Hong Kong), 2018
To better promote Chinese Culture and to strengthen Chinese education amongst Hong Kong’s youngsters, Quarry Bay School together with other schools are going to hold the 4th Zhou Youguang Cup Chinese Talent Show in April, 2018 at 6 ESF primary schools and Australian International School.
We also aim to use this event to showcase young Chinese learners’ talent and to offer them a platform for communication. Here are some basic information of the Chinese Talent Show:
A snapshot: Please click here to watch a video about last year’s Chinese Talent Show.
Participants: Students of 4-11 years old, in kindergarten, primary or secondary schools
- Chinese Native Speakers – both parents are of Chinese origin, and using Chinese as her/his first
- Non Chinese Native Speakers – with one or two non-background parents, or using other languages
as first language despite the fact that parents are of Chinese origin.
Use of Language:
Putonghua is the only accepted language in speech items. Both simplified and traditional Chinese characters are accepted in writing items.
- Every participant should select competition items matching their age as well as their year level ( For Quarry Bay School students, Year 1 students aged 5 will be allocated in Kindergarten group, Year 1 students aged 6 will be allocated in Lower Primary group; Year 2 /3 students will be allocated in Lower Primary group; Year 4/5 will be allocated in Middle Primary Group and Year 6 students will be allocated in Upper Primary Group)
- Every participant can choose no more than three competition items that match their age group.
- Any participants whose total score from three competition items is the highest will be awarded the title of “champion”;
- Champions will get a certificate of award and a special cup; they will also be qualified to enter the national final;
- Each item from each group will have one first prize, one second prize and one third prize (a certificate will be awarded); additionally, there will be several awards of excellence (a certificate will be given to the winners).
- One or two extraordinary participants from this year’s event will be chosen to be the “Chinese Culture Ambassador”; they will become the image ambassador showing up on Hong Kong region’s poster for the year.
Please click here for detailed information.
Registration Period: 25th November 2017 – 26th January 2018
Registration Methods and Payment:
- Please register at https://goo.gl/forms/nLd3dQm6AGNRCOp73
A cross cheque collected by School office:
- The cheque is made payable to: HONG KONG ASSOCIATION FOR THE PROMOTION OF PINYIN QUALITY EDUCATION (PYQE) ;
- Please write down your child’s name and competition items at the back of the cheque ( cash is not acceptable).
PTA SCHOOL BUS SERVICE
The school will close at 12 noon on Friday 15th December, 2017, for Christmas Break. Click here for early school closure bus schedule.
For queries on uniforms please do not hesitate to contact Amy directly on firstname.lastname@example.org for any shop queries you may have. Amy will be happy to assist.
- Uniform transition update
As per our previous notification, the current uniform design is in the process of being phased-out in the transition to the new ESF uniform. All outerwear designs are currently undergoing a review process and we are therefore unable to confirm the actual date of availability, which means that there are uniform items which are currently out of stock. (Click here for the out of stock item list.)
As a temporary measure you may opt to purchase, externally, a similar item (i.e. design and colour) to the uniform for your child to wear until stocks arrive.
- Winter uniform
With effect from 1st December, all students are required to wear winter uniform only.
Feedback or Suggestions
If you have any feedback or suggestions you would like to make for our events or services provided, please email them directly to: email@example.com. Your email will be received directly by our Chairman, who will reply to you at the earliest available moment.
HELP US – IN OUR DRIVE FOR A GREENER ENVIRONMENT
We request all parents to support a greener environment by BYOB “bring your own bag” when you come to purchase items from the shop.
[With immediate effect the PTA Shop will no longer provide any shopping bags].
Please contact us on 2566 4242 (ask to transfer to PTA), or 2887 1004 for further queries, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, during operation hours.
“Click here for PTA Office and Shop Operation”