Quarry Bay School’s latest newsletter is available to read now. Find out the latest news around the school and upcoming events.
Key dates for Term 1
Please click here
Key dates for next week:
- Monday the 24th of September – CPD Day (no students in school)
- Tuesday the 25th of September – Public holiday
- Wednesday and Thursday the 26th and 27th of September – School photograph (please click here for details)
- Thursday the 27th of September – PTA QBS Lantern Walk
New QBS School Council Members
The QBS School Council provides governance for the school community. The council is valued for its important role in supporting the strategic intent and operations of QBS. The council meets regularly during the academic year and has representation from all stakeholders in the school (i.e., parents, teachers, support staff, community and ESF).
Two new members will join the school council this academic year – Dr Tom Patton will be the parent representative and Mrs Mary O-Brien- Kwan will the the support staff representative. Members look forward to welcoming Tom and Mary in the near future. They have written short messages to the community – below in italics.
“I am delighted to be elected as a Parent Member of the School Council. I do feel truly privileged to have the opportunity to work with you throughout the next session. Just a little bit about myself. I was born and raised in New York but have been traveling to (and now living in) Hong Kong for the past 12 years. My wife, Oiyan Liu, and I are university professors teaching history and anthropology. Our daughters, Rosalie and Anneliese, were born here and consider it home.”
“I moved to Hong Kong from Canada with my family in August 2011. I have worked as an EA in the Hive for nearly seven years. Also, I support students at Quarry Bay School as an ELSA (Emotional Literacy Support Assistant). My daughters attend South Island School. I am excited to join School Council and share my unique perspective as an ESF parent and support staff member in this wonderful community.”
QBS School Council Members include:
From Left: Mr. Jan Blaauw – Chairman (1st photo), Mr Thomas Leung – Community Representative (2nd photo), Ms. Marie Rowbotham – Community Representative, Ms. Nicola Perkins – PTA Chairperson (3nd photo), Mr. Colin Young – Teacher Representative (4th photo), Ms. Chiara Holmes – Teacher Representative (5th photo), Ms. Mina Dunstan – Principal of the School (6th photo), Mr Adam Hughes – Chief Executive’s Representative
Council of International Schools (CIS)
Next Monday QBS staff will be involved in the self-study process required by the CIS. This professional development process commenced in August and will continue until February 2019. There will be no school for students on Monday the 24th of September as previously published in the QBS calendar.
QBS Talent Show
We ended the week with a fabulous talent show performed by QBS students. The students performed for parents and the whole school at the weekly assembly. Over the last few weeks students have been doing their auditions for the teachers. Class groups have joined in the fun too. The talent show was full of singing, dancing, music, magic and science. Well done to everyone involved and for their efforts over the last few weeks. The students were dazzled by the teacher talent in the show too – synchronised swimming, ribbon dancing and kazoo playing. Thank you to Miss Hill for making these important events happen and for her endless creative, energy. I am already planning my next talent show performance!
QBS Lantern Walk
Expressive Arts News
Hong Kong Speech and Music Association – 71st Music Festival
QBS are members of the HKSMA and every year there are speech and music competitions. If your child would like to enter the music competition, please complete the steps below:
1. Go to the HKSMA website http://www.hksmsa.org.hk/en/
2. Click on the Member Login section and enter our school details
- Membership number: 015287
- Password: umvp7q
3. Children can enter as individuals, duos or as a group. Choose which category your child is going to enter and scroll down to download the correct music entry form. Please note the music forms will be available to download from Friday 21st September.
You need to check the 71st Music festival syllabus to check the choices of music available and the the payment amount for your child’s entry. (Different entries have different costs.) The syllabus will have all the particulars of the competition. On the website the syllabus is available on the home page.
4. Complete the form accurately (participants details) and write a cheque for the correct amount made payable to Quarry Bay School. You don’t need to complete the Responsible Teachers section of the form – we will complete this at school. Please note that HKSMA are very very particular about the form being completed correctly and will reject applications if this is not done and not refund the entry fee. We are unable to check your forms for you so please ensure that they are correct.
5. Send your completed form and cheque to school for the attention of Ceri Hill by Tuesday 9th October at the latest. You must also complete this google form so that we can record the entries.
6. QBS will complete the Responsible Teachers section of the form and deliver all the entries to the association in time for the deadline.
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. firstname.lastname@example.org
Year 5 and Year 6 Camp Registration Reminder
Dear Year 5 and Year 6 parents,
Please be reminded that camp permissions, payments etc are required soon. If you have not yet registered your child, please do this as soon as possible using the links below.
If you have any questions or queries about the camps, please contact your child’s class teacher or myself as soon as possible
Year 5 Camp – Deadline for registration, permissions etc – Wednesday 26th September 2018
Year 6 Camp – Deadline for registration, permissions etc – next Friday, 21st September 2018
Thank you for your continued support.
Upcoming PTA event
6.30 pm – 8.00 pm, 27th September, 2018
5:00 – 8:00 pm, 30th October, 2018
Please note that the shop is permanently closed. Uniforms can now be ordered online at www.schooluniform.hk
Parents and caregivers must ensure that there is at least ONE adult present at the bus stop 5 minutes prior to the bus arrival timings for pickups.
For queries regarding buses, Purnima Sharma (QBS Bus Coordinator) can be contacted via email@example.com. Please be reminded NOT to send Bus related emails to firstname.lastname@example.org
Feedback or Suggestions
If you have any feedback or suggestions you would like to make for our events or services provided, please email them directly to: email@example.com. Your email will be received directly by our Chairman, who will reply to you at the earliest available moment.
Please contact us on 2566 4242 (ask to transfer to PTA), or 2887 1004 for further queries, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, during operation hours.
“Click here for PTA Office Operation”