Quarry Bay School’s latest newsletter is available to read now. Find out the latest news around the school and upcoming events.
Key dates for Term 2
Please click here
Key dates for the upcoming week:
- Wednesday the 23rd of January – Pizza Lunch for Year 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Friday the 18th of January
- Year 4 Performance “The Princess and The Wizard” for Year 4 parents at 9am
- Pizza Lunch for Year 5 & 6
I look forward to seeing the QBS students participate in the ESF cross country at KGV on Saturday morning. It is great to see our students participating in these types of events and I wish everyone a successful run. I am pleased to report QBS has won the prize for the highest participation level in the upcoming ESF race. Thank you to all families for supporting the school and opportunities for physical development.
ESF Annual Recruitment
Next week I will be out of school all week and Michael Dewey (Vice Principal, Years 4-6) will be acting Principal in my absence. I am attending a job fair in London as part of ESF’s annual teacher recruitment process. I will represent ESF and QBS at this job fair. Please do not hesitate to contact Mr Dewey if you need any assistance during my absence. I will be checking my emails so can be reached if needed.
I am disappointed to miss next week’s Year 4 performance. The students have been working very hard and I have been watching with interest their development of dance, drama and music. I wish the children well and look forward to hearing how the performance is received by parents and students.
Parent Volunteer and Class Parent meeting Thursday 24th January 8.15am
We are very fortunate to have many parents who like to volunteer in our school.
There is a requirement by ESF that we complete the relevant self declaration forms with a copy of a HK ID card and also become aware of the Child Protection stance when volunteering at QBS.
If you are interested in volunteering for in class support or trips please attend this meeting.
If you attended this meeting and completed your forms in the first term, there is no need to attend this meeting.
Those parents who are currently class parents or would like to be inform about this role, please attend this meeting as this will be a part of the presentation.
The meeting is on Thursday 24th at 8.15 am in the Amphitheatre.
Precautionary Measures against Seasonal Influenza and Acute Gastroenteritis
School is a collective assembly place where infectious diseases can be transmitted easily, especially between young children who are less capable of taking proper personal care. To prevent possible outbreak of Seasonal Influenza and Acute Gastroenteritis (AGE) in our school, we strongly advise parents to follow the precautionary measures below:
Seasonal Influenza is an acute illness of the respiratory tract caused by influenza viruses. It is usually more common in periods from January to March and from July to August in Hong Kong. Symptoms may include fever, cough, sore throat, runny nose, muscle pain, fatigue and headache, with or without vomiting and diarrhoea.
Acute Gastroenteritis is usually caused by norovirus or rotavirus infection. It is highly contagious and can be transmitted by consumption of contaminated food, contact with the vomitus or excreta of the infected persons, contaminated objects and aerosol spread with contaminated droplets of splashed vomitus. Symptoms include nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal pain, fever and malaise.
As advised by the Centre for Health Protection (CHP), we should take the following precautions to prevent Seasonal Influenza and AGE:
- Please keep in close touch with the school. If suspected symptoms develop, please consult the doctor immediately.
- Please pay attention to your child’s health condition. Children infected with Seasonal Influenza or AGE should stay away from school until they have recovered.
- Cover nose and mouth while sneezing or coughing and dispose of tissues properly.
- Make healthy food choices and drink plenty of water
- Always keep hands clean by frequent hand washing.
- Avoid going to public play areas such as ball pits.
- Maintain a clean and healthy household environment.
- Disinfect toys and household objects that have secretions from nose and mouth with diluted household bleach (mixing 1 part of household bleach with 49 parts of water)
- Please check your child’s temperature and ensure the temperature is normal (37.5℃ or below) before sending him/her to school.
- We do not encourage or endorse the use of a face mask at school.
- We clean and disinfect the school premises regularly.
- Children and staff members are alert to their personal hygiene and the environmental hygiene of the school.
- If your child is on sick leave, we may provide additional learning support for them to catch up with the learning progress after missing school.
We would like to thank you for your support in relation to seasonal influenza and acute gastroenteritis. Please remind your child to pay attention to their personal hygiene and take all necessary measures against communicable diseases.
For further information, please visit the CHP’s Website: (http://www.chp.gov.hk)
Seeking for parents volunteer for Chinese New Year activities
Happy 2019, it has been wonderful to see the students back in school.
In a few weeks time it will be Chinese New Year, a much celebrated festival in Hong Kong.
As part of our Chinese New Year celebrations at QBS we are looking for volunteers to help with the following events:
Chinese Activity Day for year 1-6 (whole day)
Parents are invited to lead activities e.g. craft (paper cutting, calligraphy), games (Chinese chess, flying chess, tangrams ) and sports (Chinese yoyo, skipping, shuttlecocks).
Also, we would like to invite parents from different countries and cultures e.g. Japanese, Korean, Indian etc. to share games or crafts. This will allow our students the chance to broaden their perspectives.
29 Jan 2019 (Tues) 8:15 – 2:30 pm
Please click here to fill in the form to indicate your availability.
We hope to hear from you soon.
Ms Katherine ONG
Unfortunately we still have many parents who do not inform if their child/ren have after school activities or a change in afternoon travel arrangements on the buses. The above results in a delay in departure of the buses from school, while Principals, teachers and staff of the school are looking for the missing students.
We therefore request your cooperation to notify us before 12:00pm on a normal school day, and 10:00am on an early school closure day, for change in travel arrangement of your child. This procedure is imperative and in the best interest and safety of your child.
(Parents are requested to inform school via email at firstname.lastname@example.org as well as copying the message to the class teacher/school before 12:30pm.)
Chinese New Year Celebrations
Please click here to learn more about our Chinese New Year events at QBS this year.
ESF Run 2019
The Race Packs have arrived at Quarry Bay School. You should have received an email from the organisers to confirm this.
You may now collect your race pack from the 3/F reception between 8:15am and 3:15pm daily if you’ve chosen to pick up from the school during registration.
Term 2 enrolling now. Please click here for details.
- Wednesday, 23 January 2019 – Year 1, 2, 3, 4
- Friday, 25 January 2019 – Year 5 & 6
Pizza order forms have been distributed to all student. Please complete and send it back before the deadline.