Quarry Bay School’s latest newsletter is available to read now. Find out the latest news around the school and upcoming events.
Key dates for Term 1
Please click here
Key dates for next week:
- Tuesday the 11th of September – Parent Teacher Consultations (Noon closure)
- Thursday the 13th of September – Year 2 Plastic Free Sea Talk
- Friday the 14th of September – Class Assembly (3S/3T) for parents (To view the Class Assembly rota, please click here)
It has been a busy fourth week at school. Students have been very engaged in their lessons and I have seen some excellent lessons taking place across all areas of the curriculum this week. I hope parents take time to look at the daily blog. The blog shares daily teaching and learning experiences at QBS.
We look forward to welcoming parents to school next week for the parent teacher consultations. Please be reminded that school closes at noon next Tuesday for these consultations.
Thank you to all Year 5 and Year 6 parents for attending the camp information sessions this week. It is hoped parents found these sessions informative and useful.
Expressive Arts News
Talent show results
The solo and group stages of the talent show auditions have now finished and the children from these groups were notified today if they will be taking part in the talent show assembly. Parents of these children will also been informed via email.
All the children who auditioned showed commitment and confidence and it was lovely to see them enjoying themselves and having fun. All the children have received positive feedback about their audition and are aware that not being chosen doesn’t mean they don’t have talent. A positive mindset and resilience are important qualities for children at QBS. (Ceri Hill, Lead Teacher of Expressive Arts)
Hong Kong Speech and Music Association – 71st Music Festival
QBS are members of the HKSMA and every year there are speech and music competitions. If your child would like to enter the music competition, please complete the steps below:
1. Go to the HKSMA website http://www.hksmsa.org.hk/en/
2. Click on the Member Login section and enter our school details
- Membership number: 015287
- Password: umvp7q
3. Children can enter as individuals, duos or as a group. Choose which category your child is going to enter and scroll down to download the correct music entry form.
You need to check the 71st Music festival syllabus to check the choices of music available and the the payment amount for your child’s entry. (Different entries have different costs.) The syllabus will have all the particulars of the competition. On the website the syllabus is available on the home page.
4. Complete the form accurately (participants details) and write a cheque for the correct amount made payable to Quarry Bay School. You don’t need to complete the Responsible Teachers section of the form – we will complete this at school. Please note that HKSMA are very very particular about the form being completed correctly and will reject applications if this is not done and not refund the entry fee. We are unable to check your forms for you so please ensure that they are correct.
5. Send your completed form and cheque to school for the attention of Ceri Hill by Tuesday 9th October at the latest. You must also complete this google form so that we can record the entries.
6. QBS will complete the Responsible Teachers section of the form and deliver all the entries to the association in time for the deadline.
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. firstname.lastname@example.org
Please log into the Gateway and check your activity registration status under the ‘My Activities’ tab will be updated at 3pm on Friday 07th September 2018 to either ‘Accepted’ or ‘Not Accepted’.
‘Not Accepted’? – The activity is probably full. Please make sure that you inform your child’s teacher and email@example.com about which club your child has been accepted to. This is necessary for the school bus and if they are a walker.
There needs to be an adult at school before the club starts and after it ends.
Dates for Term 1 Clubs:
- ESF/ Private Clubs Sept 10 – Dec 07
- QBS Academic Clubs Sept 10 – Nov 09
- QBS Sports Clubs Sept 10 – Nov 16
Important information for Year 1 and year 6 students
Year 1 ( born 2014) Sibling Application to QBS
If you wish to apply for a Year 1 place for next academic year 2019/2020 the Central Applications application period is from 1-30 September 2018.
Year 6 students transferring to an ESF secondary school for Year 7
Any current Year 6 students wishing to transfer to an ESF secondary school must submit the Y7 secondary transfer applications (located on Gateway) during the period Monday 3rd September- to Friday 14 September 2018.
The Gateway Y7 transfer form for August 2018 will be available to parents to access from the 3rd September.
Parents will receive an email once they submit their Y7 transfer form. Each family may only submit one form.
All allocations for an ESF secondary school will be determined by your residential zone at the start of Year 6.
For further details, please refer to the information available on the ESF website at http://www.esf.edu.hk/year6-to-year7-key-dates/ for key dates and http://www.esf.edu.hk/esf-zonesfor school zones.
All newly joined students to QBS in Y6 are guaranteed a Y7 place but not necessarily for the school of zone. Please note that ESF reserves the right to redirect students should there be overcapacity at any of the secondary schools.
Y7 Offer letters will be send to parents from the respective secondary schools on 30 th November 2018 and the Y7 deposit payment deadline to secure their secondary school place is Friday 14 December 2018.
Please do not hesitate to contact us for any further inquiries.
Ms Sue YEE
Years 4, 5 and 6 Residential Camps 2018-19
This term, there will be residential camps taking place for year 4, 5 and 6 students. The camps are an integral part of our curriculum, and it is our expectation that all students will take part in these important and enjoyable experiences. For each camp, an information evening for parents will be led by teachers and outside providers. These evenings will provide valuable information and parents are encouraged to attend wherever possible. We look forward to welcoming you to these events over the next few weeks.
Year 6 Camp to Outward Bound (Sai Kung)
- Information Evening for parents – Wednesday 5th of September 6pm
- CAMP DATES (ALL Y6 STUDENTS) – Monday 8th October – Friday 12th October
Year 5 Camp to Treasure Island (Pui O Beach, Lantau Island)
- Information Evening for parents – Thursday 6th September 6pm
- CAMP DATES (ALL Y5 STUDENTS) – Weds 24th – Friday 26th October
Year 4 Camps to Cheung Chau
- Information Evening for parents – Wednesday 3rd October 6pm
- CAMP DATES (pairs of classes to be confirmed)
- Camp 1 – Monday 5th November to Wednesday 7th November
- Camp 2 – Wednesday 7th November to Friday 9th November
SIS Curriculum Open Day
SIS will host an Open Day for the whole school community as well as prospective parents on Friday September 14th. It is a chance for your Year 6 parents to come up and have a look at the school before they submit their Secondary School application. Please click here for more.
ESF Festival of Music
Term 1 programmes
Please be reminded NOT to send bus related emails to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that the shop is permanently closed. Uniforms can now be ordered online at www.schooluniform.hk
11th September 2018 – Parent Teacher Consultation Day:
The school will close at 12:00 noon to facilitate Parent Teacher Consultations. The school buses are scheduled to depart from school by approx. 12:10pm. Please click Bus Schedule-12noon School Closure for bus timings for the day.
Parents and caregivers must ensure that there is at least ONE adult present at the bus stop 5 minutes prior to the bus arrival timings for pickups.
For queries regarding buses, Purnima can be contacted via email@example.com
Job Vacancy : Supply Bus Escort / Supply Bus Mother
We are urgently looking for Supply Bus Escorts /Supply Bus Mothers to take care of the students, and ensure safe and disciplined travel, to and from school.
Salary Scale: depending on route confirmed.
Feedback or Suggestions
If you have any feedback or suggestions you would like to make for our events or services provided, please email them directly to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Your email will be received directly by our Chairman, who will reply to you at the earliest available moment.
Please contact us on 2566 4242 (ask to transfer to PTA), or 2887 1004 for further queries, or by email to email@example.com, during operation hours.
“Click here for PTA Office Operation”